Follow me on my project as I purchase a Yamaha XS650, get it running and registered and then chop it into what hopefully is a sweet scoot that I can get out on and tear up the roads.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Making progress

The last few weekends I have been working away at the bike getting ready to hopefully start the motor next weekend, which is a long weekend for Anzac Day. I have also placed a couple more orders from MikesXS for some more parts.

Parts wise, I have purchased:

Engine Oil Seal Kit
Clutch Pushrod Oil Seal
3 Bond #1194-Gasket Sealant
Headpipe Gaskets
Gasket - filter element cover
Gasket - filter element base
Gasket - RH crankcase cover (clutch)
Gasket - carb holder (Pk./2)
Gasket - LH case cover (Alternator)

That order with shipping came to a total of $123.88 AUD with shipping.

I have also placed an order for the following parts last week, and they will arrive this week:

Speedo-2.25" White Face 0-220 KPH
Pamco Electronic Ignition Kit
Copper Washers - (Pk/10) filter/Cooler
Tach Drive Block-off Cap

Which was a total of $342.10 AUD with shipping.

Last weekend I pulled off the right hand case cover and cleaned up the insides of that, replaced the kickstarter seal, re-installed the kickstarter, new oil filter, new gaskets on the oil filter, it's cover and the side cover.

This weekend I have replaced the clutch pushrod seal, checked over the carbs again and then installed them. All I have left to do before I can start it up, is fill it with oil, confirm the timing is still ok, hook up a temporary fuel tank and hope that the wiring is still all ok.

My total for the project so far is now $804 out of pocket, which I think it pretty good. Sure I could have saved a little cash by not purchasing the new speedo and pamco ignition, but I think they are justified by the fact that they will allow the bike to run better (Pamco ignition) and the new speedo is smaller and has all of the lights needed for the bike to stay legal with our road rules. My current speedo looks ok, but the original tacho is broken and non functional, so it is going to come off as I could fail roadworthy if it is on the bike and non functional, and it contains the high beam light (which is also a must for roadworthy)

So hopefully my update next weekend will be a good one with a running motor and a video to show it!

Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter Long Weekend

When you need a bit of time off so that you can work on some projects, the only thing better than a three day weekend is a four day weekend. Easter is one of those.

Over the four days I have managed to get in a solid 14 hours work on the bike. I continued on with the cleaning of the motor (inside the sump and the outside of the motor)and getting the sump back together, and all that I am waiting on is delivery of my gaskets and seals so that I can install the side mount oil filter, new clutch pushrod seal (notorious for leaking, and the motor was covered in oil in that location before I degreased it) and then refill with oil.

I also used some scotch-bright and nylon abrasive pads on the motor with a little autosol to start cleaning up the fins on the motor. All of the places that I can reach with the pads are now clean and shiny. There are a few places that I cannot reach properly with the drill mounted pads so I am still considering borrowing/hiring an air compressor to blast with bi-carb soda, but at the moment the engine is clean enough that it will pass any inspections and checks for rego when the time comes. I think that I will hold off on too much more cleaning of the motor until I pull it out of the frame a little later on.

The other week I caught up with my best mate Nathan and borrowed his tripod so that I could film and capture some better images of the build progress on the bike, plus I will be able to fully capture the first kick of the bike in a few weeks. I have been filming most of the work I have done from when I rebuilt the carbs through to the work done on the weekend. I am working on a few clips at the moment, but they will be a little while off.

Below are some pics of the engine before and after the cleaning with the abrasive pads.