Today I continued on with cleaning the carbs both internally and externally. They are looking 100 times better now that they have had a really good scrub all over with carb cleaner and a toothbrush.
I have used a can of carb cleaner per carb so far, and I will probably use a half of another to go over the butterfly valves and inlet again while I place the order for the carb rebuild kits and some new screws for the bowls and tops as most of the screw heads are torn up.
I have only run into one little problem so far, and that is that the second carb's Needle Jet has not been able to be tapped out. All of the manuals and tutorials that I have seen on these carbs use a little piece of timber or dowel to tap out the brass needle jet. The first one tapped out with a toothpick and the handle of a screw driver, but so far nothing has allowed me to get out the other needle.
I tried soaking the needle jet every few minutes for a couple of hours and then trying again but it hasn't even moved the smallest amount.
I have asked a few people I know that have worked on these carbs a bit and I am waiting to hear back from them.
Until the next update on the carbs, here are some pics of them looking much cleaner.
Big Japan Motorcycle Ride – Santa Coming
23 hours ago